In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Princeton Public Library

Train Station, Princeton, ca. 1890

Contributed by Princeton Public Library
MMN Item 80019 Item Details
Train Station, Princeton, ca. 1890
MMN Item 80019 Zoom

Description

The Lewy's Island Railroad first came to Princeton in 1857 as an extension of the Calais and Baring Railroad. The train ran daily on this track carrying freight and passengers until the last train went out of town on July 22, 1933.

The train station contained an office, waiting area, and a larger building for freight storage. According to the 1885 edition of the Maine Register a fare to ride the St. Croix & Penobscot Railroad from Calais to Princeton was 75 cents, and the ride was 21 miles long.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.