In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Princeton Public Library

Captain Lewy Steamboat, Princeton, ca. 1900

Contributed by Princeton Public Library
MMN Item 79718 Item Details
Captain Lewy Steamboat, Princeton, ca. 1900
MMN Item 79718 Zoom

Description

The Captain Lewy Steamboat was used to tow booms of logs across Big Lake in Princeton to supply the lumber mills located downstream. The piles of firewood pictured on the deck were used to fire the furnace of the two steam cylinder engines located on each side of the vessel. Two large pistons on each side of the boat ran to the back and turned the paddle wheel. In the midsection of the boat was a dining area and bunks for the crew. The wheelhouse sits above the main part of the boat. The Captain Lewy was in operation from 1853 to 1920.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.